Information document-14th African Youth and Governance Convergence-AYGC
Background and context
The AYGC is an all-year-round leadership grooming program with an annual convergence initiated and convened by YBF since 2009. It brings together youth, experts in academia, government officials and public servants to analyze policy documents and deliberate on issues affecting the continent. Delegates grouped into workable committees will be guided by industry experts to research on given topics ahead of the convergence after which they will propose and defend their motions for subsequent adoption at a General Assembly. AYGC offers an excellent opportunity to network beyond borders in the building of a united African front.
About the 14th Edition of AYGC
Despite the challenges that come with the impact of COVID, a notable outcome is the accelerated growth in technology for Africa. We have been witnesses to how young people globally and especially Africa are rising and setting news trends in healthcare, sports, fashion, science, agriculture and many more. They are leading initiatives to mitigate the impacts of COVID-19 on our economic and social lives. They are inventing and creating opportunities to build the future we want.
It is in line with this passion and drive that the 14th edition of AYGC will be held this year, physically with Zambia as host country, and virtually on Zoom platform, and under the theme ‘HARNESSING TECHNOLOGY AND DIGITAL INNOVATION TO ADVANCE AFRICA’S YOUTH DEVELOPMENT AGENDA’ In a few months, we will also commemorate the International Youth Day, and as we celebrate our youth for their achievements, it is necessary that we advocate for a paradigm shift to technology and digital innovation as a key connector to Africa’s youth development agenda.
Again, for the first time, the convergence will physically host Lusophone (Portuguese speaking countries) Africa youth. While the official language for AYGC remains English, there will be simultaneous interpretation of all conference communique/streaming in French and Portuguese throughout the convergence.
The following are further details for the 14th African Youth and Governance Convergence – AYGC 2022.
- The Convergence will be hosted by Zambia led by the Youth Bridge Foundation Zambia Office;
- It will be week-long starting Sunday 7th August, 2022 and ending Sunday 14th August, 2022;
- It will take both a physical and virtual format having successfully run a virtual model for AYGC 2020 and 2021
- Main convergence activities will include (a) expert plenary sessions with industry experts and AYGC and coaches. (b) Committee research work in the areas of Education; Gender, Equality and Social inclusion; Agriculture and Food Security; Creative arts and Culture; Governance Leadership and Accountability, Health; Foreign and Diaspora affairs; Employment, Entrepreneurship Development.
- Sponsorship is open. Sponsors are free to cater for a section of the conference, a general sponsorship or to enable one or more African youth to attend